Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Titles are boring

Sooo, I picked up my demo unit Dangerous D-box and Phoenix Audio Nicerizer from Darren in Studio Solutions on Friday. Is there anything better than new toys? I think not.
First impressions are positive, but also somewhat confusing.
I'm sticking to running 8 outputs for the moment, partly because I haven't been able to borrow another interface to run from my adat outs. In comparing the D-Box, Nicer and ITB mixes, I'm preferring the summed mixes every time. In comparing the D-box and Nicer, I'm hearing different results depending on the mixes I run through them, and it's not just related to the level I put into each box. On some mixes, the Nicer is adding some low end and smoothing out the highs a little, while also lending some saturated crunch to the midrange. This is a nice enough sound, but I'd be a little concerned that I wouldn't want it for every mix. Mind you, on some mixes there is little or no difference between the two.
Now, when monitoring through the D-box (that is, monitoring the analog summed signal before it goes back into the box) I'm hearing a lot more low level detail like reverb tails. At least, it's most obvious in that I'm hearing how things like reverb tails are going on for too long at some points in a song, or just are too long or the wrong sound in general. This is GOOD.
Only thing is, I'm not sure if it's the D-Box or summing in general that's getting me there - I think it may be because I'm using my RME ADI-2 to convert the summing box output to digital and running it back in to my interface. But I'm also clocking from the RME.
And I'm thinking it's the clocking that is improving the level of detail I'm hearing.

VERY interesting.
I will investigate further.
I'm also hoping to get my hands on one or two other demo units in the next few days, I'll report back with more observations, and maybe even some files.

In other news, Padraig's freshly analog summed mixes have been ftp'd to Golden, and Rifle Fire Rifle were over again last night. I've given them a few versions of Doppler with some arrangement edits they requested, so once they decide which they prefer, we'll have that baby wrapped up.

Peace.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Pete, how do you rate the D-A converters on the d-box compared to your current interface? Have you done a playback test yet..?

RedTapeAudio said...

Unfortunately not - I don't have an AES to SPDIF cable - I must pick one up before I return the D-Box.
At the moment, I'm monitoring the analog summing output before conversion.
A/Bing between monitoring the summing and the digital out would be interesting.

Unknown said...

right o.