Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My demo hell

Plugin demo, that is.

I tried out the SPL Transient Designer and TwinTube plugins recently.
Anyone who's used a Transient Designer will know what a useful little tool it is - it can really rescue a less than ideal source.
I've had good results with it in killing nasty boingy rings on close mic'ed drums and easing down the attack on a hammered acoustics.
It's also very cool for subtle changes that can bring a track a little more to life - a bit more attack on a bass or guitars, or whatever.

I also figured I'd give TwinTube a whirl.
I think I've mentioned before how much use I get out of the URS Saturation plugin - just the other day I used it to add some grind to a drum bus for the first time in ages.. great sound.
The TwinTube offers a single saturation sound, but luckily its one that compliments the URS plug quite nicely - a somewhat smoother sound overall, but still very much able to provide plenty of dirt.
At the moment it's sitting on a lead vocal for a song I'm mixing and I'm quite happy for it to be right up front.
The harmonics section is one of those features thats just begging to be abused.
While it can be handy for adding some life to dull instruments or synths that roll off everything above 2khz, the way it reacts with the saturation section (read : brings the crazy) is almost certainly going to be roundly abused in the next few days to make some fun sounds.

The 'hell' part of the demo experience is that I initially only bought Transient Designer after the demo period expired, but those clever Germans at SPL promptly dropped an extra 30-day trial of that and their EQ Ranger plugin (haven't tried it, the last thing I need is more EQ).
This fiendish ploy has most likely gotten them an extra sale :/

3 comments:

squinn said...

Transient Monster can be useful also-

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=18

RedTapeAudio said...

Ooh - haven't tried that.
Must check out that and the other Stillwell plugins. Any recommendations?
I was using Flux Bittersweet (http://www.fluxhome.com/products/Freewares/bittersweet2) which is cool, but I find Transient Designer more transparent, especially when working hard.

Unknown said...

Check out The Rocket for sure....and maybe 1973.
The limiter's pretty good also, but 9/10 I prefer others. Great bang for buck though i think.

I've tried the bittersweet that's built into the Alchemist, didn't really dig it for what I wanted. Transient monster worked better, again in a more transparent way.