Friday, February 22, 2008

I love rehearsal tapes

I moved 'Modern Romance' on a good bit for Padraig.
Should get that finished tonight.
I'm really enjoying the Sonnox EQ so far, it's very easy to sweep around and find problem frequencies with.
I especially like the way it defaults to hiding the figure each knob is set to - way too often I find myself deciding eq based on the numbers on the screen and not my ears.. in fact, the whole time I'm mixing 'in the box' I'm battling against the natural tendency to read rather than listen to a mix.

The best trick I've come up with so far is to set the readout below each pro tools fader to read the sample delay on each channel rather than the fader's db value.
That way, I can move faders without getting the urge to round them up or down to the nearest db.
I've thought about getting a hold of a control surface for a good while now - the Command 8, CM Motormix and those new Euphonix controllers all look pretty good.
Unfortunately, the Euphonix are Mac only. And they're all pretty pricey for a way to kid yourself that you're using an analog desk again.

Speaking of which, analog summing is another dark chapter in my wishlist. Financially, that is.
Those evil bastards at Dangerous keep coming out with tempting ways to lassoo my cash.. The Dangerous D-Box being the latest.
Summing, nice converters, two seperate headphone outs and being able to hang two sets of speakers off the one box. Damn you!

Spoke with Cormac from Stoat on the phone about Sunday's session in Beechpark. He sent me over a recording of their rehearsals at the weekend - I LOVE it when bands do this. It gives you such a headstart in terms of planning the kind of sounds you want for each song.
Already I've learned a couple of things that'll help me out down the line..

  1. I'm gonna mic the hihat and ride on this sucka. I should mention that this is something I never do. I find there's very rarely any need. The hihat in particularhas no trouble making itself known in every other mic on the kit. One or two of the tunes have quite prominent hat/ride parts though, so I'm going to cover my ass by micing them up. Probably with ribbons, if I can spare them.
  2. Song A is gonna sound great with big, roomy drums. Song B on the other hand is dying for some really close, dry drum sounds. I'm thinking it'll be wallet/tshirt on the snare time. Thank fuck for rehearsal tapes - it's pretty hard to recreate that sound in mix.
  3. I'm really looking forward to recording the piano in Beechpark (on Song C). It sounds so good, it even makes you feel like you're a piano player.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya, i've got a major fetish for whole numbers too, must try that sample display thing.
I like using controllers but i'd probably just get a faderport rather than splash out on a 8 or more fader thing.
I'd love one of these summing mixers:
http://futuresounds.ie/Tegeler.html

RedTapeAudio said...

Yeah, the faderport and alphatrack look nice. Neither really 100% nails what I'd want though.. better plugin control would be nice.
The Tegeler stuff looks interesting - must look into their stuff, cheers.

dubh said...

damn Dangerous Box indeed. Bastids. Why can't I just have a 32x8 Trident 80B in perfect working order, that also works as a PT controller, is less than a square metre, and cooks me a nice omelette too? Hm and for less than $1000 u.s.? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?!?

RedTapeAudio said...

I think we all know what we REALLY want is an API or Neve with automation. Who'd need a controller? Damnit, I'd sell the bed and sleep on the couch to make room for one of those babies. No need to heat the room they're in anymore either.